Friday, August 22, 2014

Perma Faves: MAC x Lorde Lipstick in Pure Heroine (Review + Comparison)

If I could marry one person in the world, it would be Lorde. Not my boyfriend or anyone--but Lorde. Since this isn't a post dedicated to her, I'll keep the ranting to a minimum.

I only began buying high-end makeup pretty recently and wanted to get a MAC lipstick, but none really jumped out at me. The stars basically came together when I found out there was a Lorde-themed lipstick. Hell yeah, I'm gonna buy it. Good thing the MAC website has free shipping since I wanted this sucker immediately.

Be jealous.

The Lorde collection included an eyeliner and an Amplified finish lipstick in Pure Heroine, obviously named after the album. I'm still not sure if we're talking protagonists or drugs, but whatever. You can be jealous since the lipstick is sold out now.


This one comes in the usual MAC rounded style and swatches beautifully. Honestly, I would have preferred a more Lorde-esque dark plum, but this is totally fine.

No flash, but held up right next to a light.

In the tube, Pure Heroine looks like a really dark purple, but when you really look, it has a really bright fuchsia undertone.

Flash.

I have lipsticks that have a similar fuchsia undertone, but I love how this one wears off. Instead of getting grossly patchy like my other lipsticks, it wears off to an even pink stain. In fact, sometimes I blot off all the dark and leave that nice magenta--it's like a two-in-one. Great for the lazy (i.e. me).

Freshly applied, full color. It's very moisturizing without sliding around.

You don't need a lipliner with Pure Heroine; it doesn't sit in the fine lines and seep outside your lip line.

Freshly applied, with flash.

I then dabbed it with a clean square of toilet paper until nothing else came off and got to that nice-looking stain.

This is a much more daytime color.

With flash and wind in my face.

I was sort of cleaning out my photo folder and happened to delete my 12-hours-later picture, but let me describe it for you. Pure Heroine wore off really evenly; I didn't have that awkward ring of color on the outside of my lips and on the inside it became a gradient from my lips to the color. None of that 'straight line of lipstick' stuff.

It did disappear somewhat from the corners of my mouth after the 12-hours and the rest had lightened by about 50% of the above stain, but not in a gross, patchy way. So overall, even if you wear it as a stain, this lipstick definitely stains. My lips didn't feel disgustingly dry at the end either and I started without any chapstick underneath.

And because I have too many drugstore lipsticks, I tried to pick out some similar colors.

L-R: MAC Pure Heroine, Maybelline Color Sensational in Brazen Berry (~$8)Revlon Super Luxurious in Plum Velour (~$8)L'Oreal Infallible Le Rouge in Everlasting Plum (~$10)Maybelline Color Sensational in Deepest Cherry (~$8), Maybelline Color Sensational in Mauve It Up (~$8), NYX Butter Gloss in Raspberry Tart (~$5) Revlon Just Bitten Kissable in Crush (~$9).

L-R: MAC Pure HeroinePure Heroine as a stain, Maybelline Color Sensational in Brazen Berry (~$8)Revlon Super Luxurious in Plum Velour (~$8)L'Oreal Infallible Le Rouge in Everlasting Plum (~$10)Maybelline Color Sensational in Deepest Cherry (~$8), Maybelline Color Sensational in Mauve It Up (~$8), NYX Butter Gloss in Raspberry Tart (~$5) Revlon Colorburst Balm Stain in Crush (~$9).

Out of my 100s of lip products, I don't have an exact dupe. As you can see, all my berry/purple shades are on the redder side, while Pure Heroine is cooler and purely purple.

Taken with flash.
Same order as above.

Some of these do leave a stain, even after vigorous scrubbing. Same order as above.
L-R: MAC, MAC, Maybelline, Revlon, L'Oreal

** Update: If you've got a Pure Heroine-colored hole in your heart, check out Revlon ColorBurst Matte Balm in Shameless (~$9). The color is spot on, but the finishes are different, since the Matte Balm is, you know, matte. I don't find it drying and it lasts all day, albeit wears off to be a tad more patchy stain than Pure Heroine. But the color is a perfect dupe.

Overall, I love this lipstick. It wears off well, lasts ages, and can give you two different colors with minimal effort. And it's Lorde themed. Come on. Totally worth the $16.

MAC x Lorde Pure Heroine retails for the usual $16 for 0.1oz ($160 per ounce).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...